Re: Q: i845MP/P4-M laptop support? (specific problems listed)

From: Ducrot Bruno (
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 13:06:07 EST

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 11:06:10AM +0100, Simon Oosthoek wrote:
> Hi all
> I've been following kernel-traffic and sometimes the web-archives in search
> for some clues about support for my laptop (jewel jade 8060, specs(in dutch):
It sound like to be actually the same as a Toshiba Satellite for me.
Interresting. FYI, this model is made by Compal <>
which is the actual manufacturer.

> I've noticed some problems and I've seen some proposals for patches and
> fixes, but I don't have a clear picture of which is fixed and by which
> patch...
> The problems I have seen:
> - apm doesn't seem to work
> output:
> APM BIOS 1.2 (kernel driver 1.16)
> AC on-line, no system battery

APM do not work with the Satellite too. So, yes, it is very likely to be
the exact same model...

> Q: will the ACPI patches help with this?

Yes and no. You will have to make a (little) workaround in order to get ACPI
working, due to a bug in the BIOS.

> - the -ac2 patch wasn't able to boot at all (no messages), but I haven't
> tried it more than once... the intel speedstep feature would be nice to have
> though...

You could have that with ACPI. Alternatively, you can try cpufreq.

> - resource collision on PCI 00:1f.1?
> bootmessages: PCI: Device 00:1f.1 not available because of resource collisions
> - missing driver for smartmedia slot

In fact, the smartmedia slot is available as a USB device..
Just compile with SCSI support. Under the USB menu, you have a
'USB Mass Storage support' entry. You should then have a
'Microtech CompactFlash/SmartMedia support'

> from "lspci -v":
> 02:06.0 System peripheral: Toshiba America Info Systems: Unknown device 0804
> (rev 02)
> Subsystem: COMPAL Electronics Inc: Unknown device 0012
> Flags: slow devsel, IRQ 11
> Memory at e0000c00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=32]
> Capabilities: <available only to root>

This is the Firewire link. You can try IEEE 1394, the correct driver
should be OHCI-1394. Since I have no HW to play with that, I can not
promise anything..

A final word: if you want ACPI for this one, you should go to

Try the latest patch. Alas, if your model is buggy in the BIOS, (and
I know already that it is the case, actually) you should
ask for help in acpi mailing list at acpi-devel (at)
or ask me privately (but at ducrot (at) with a subject
containing ACPI please).

Ducrot Bruno        Page profaissionelle  Haume page
the body of a message to
More majordomo info at
Please read the FAQ at