Lowering Latency

From: arun4linux (arun4linux@indiatimes.com)
Date: Tue Dec 24 2002 - 10:55:46 EST

Hello,

I'm writing a module device driver on RH 8.0 (2.4.18-14 kernel).
I'd like to know is there any way I can give maximum priority to my module.
Or can I make my module a non-preemptable one?
I could see from drivers/char/oprofile/compat.h that preempt_disable() doesn't do anything. (Mine is an uniprocessor machine.)
I don't want to touch the rest of the kernel. I dont want to apply any patch.
All I want to do is get the maximum time from the CPU and lower my driver's latency.
Is it possible?
If it's possible, please do let me know, how to achieve this.

Wishing you all a merry christmas and a prosperous new year.

Arun