Measuring impact on interactive tasks

From: scott thomason (scott@thomasons.org)
Date: Thu Dec 26 2002 - 20:39:09 EST

It crossed my mind while load testing some scheduler tunable settings
that completely subjective monitoring of X jerkiness perhaps wasn't
the most scientific way of measuring the interactive impact of the
tunables. I'm no Evil Scientist, but I whipped up a perl script that
I think accomplishes something close to capturing those statistics.
It captures 1000 samples of what should be a precise .2 second delay
(on an idle system it is, with a tiny bit of noise).

Here's the script, along with some output produced while the system
was under considerable load (around 13). Would something like this be
worth developing further to help rigorously measure the interactive
impact of the tunables? Or is there a flaw in the approach? (Jokes
about Perl are considered below the belt...)
---scott

#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use warnings;