Re: [BENCHMARK] vm swappiness with contest

From: Paolo Ciarrocchi (ciarrocchi@linuxmail.org)
Date: Fri Dec 27 2002 - 08:13:13 EST

From: Con Kolivas <conman@kolivas.net>
[...]
> Paolo if I was to choose a number from these values I'd suggest lower than 60
> rather than higher, BUT that is because the io load effects become a real
> problem when the kernel is swappy - don't _really_ know what this means for
> the rest of the time. Maybe in the 40-50 range. There seems to be a knee
> (bend) in the curve (most noticable in dbench_load) rather than the curves
> being linear. That knee I believe simply shows the way the algorithm for
> swappiness basically works. I might throw a 50 at the machine as well to see
> what that does.

Con, thank you for your time and results.
I have to confirm you that large file writes with a swappy kernel
seems to waste time swapping data, I see it with the resp tool too.

May be we can say that a good value for a desktop enviroment is in the
40-50 range while for a server is 70-80, this because with the osdb bench
tool I get the best results with 80.

Ciao,
        Paolo

http://www.linuxmail.org/