Re: Want a random entropy source?

From: John Bradford (john@grabjohn.com)
Date: Sat Dec 28 2002 - 15:39:16 EST

> > I was astonished to see that the resulting signal is a white-noise
> > pattern with a slight emphasis at the high end (when sampled at 44
> > kilosamples per second). In short, it looks like diode noise with a
> > 4 kilohertz square wave thrown in.
> > "That suggests to me that this would make a fair source of random samples,
> > especially after you slot out the interfering signal.
> JB> How can you guarantee that you are sampling noise, though, what if a
> JB> sound card was picking up 50 Hz mains hum, for example, that would
> JB> de-randomise the data quite a bit.
>
> Well, the 50hz from the mains isn't a perfect 50hz; it has random (yes)
> fluctuations.

Yes, that's true.

More generally, though, is there any point in this going in to the
mainline kernel, if:

* Most users don't need faster entropy generation than we've got

and

* The entropy gathered from the soundcard is statistically inferior to
that gathered from the current sources of entropy.

I don't see how it's possible to guarantee that the data below a
certain dB level from the soundcard is noise.

John.