fbdev - boot parameter question

From: Roberto De Leo (deleo@unica.it)
Date: Mon Dec 30 2002 - 20:07:20 EST

Hi,
I am developing a mini linux CD distro (movix.sf.net) and I would like
to set up the boot in the following way: by default the CD should boot
with the vesa FB support on, but for those cards for which the vesa FB
fails the kernel should switch _automatically_ to the standard setting
it would use if it had started with the "video=vesa:off" boot parameter.
What I get now when vesa FB fails to load is instead the kernel prompt
asking the user to choose among all available console modes, and I would
be very happy if I could avoid that.

I looked in the LILO HOWTO and in the BootPrompt HOWTO and in the
bootparam man page but could not find any way to do this.
Any hint would be welcome. If there is no parameter available, can you
at least let me know which file should I change to set the standard
linux console mode as the default in case the vesa FB load fails?

Please, CC any answer to my mail address since I am not subscribed to
the ML.

Thanks,
 Roberto De Leo