Re: nmi_watchdog NMI count zero on a AMD K6-3

From: Mikael Pettersson (mikpe@csd.uu.se)
Date: Tue Dec 31 2002 - 08:05:00 EST

On Tue, 31 Dec 2002 07:56:45 +0100 (MET), "Michael <soppscum@online.no>" wrote:
>With both nmi_watchdog=1/2 I get NMI: 0 in /proc/interrupts with a AMD K6-3

nmi_watchdog=2 will never do anything on a K6 since the K6s lack the
on-CPU local APIC and performance counter features needed for this mode.

nmi_watchdog=1 needs an I/O APIC and (for K6) an external local APIC.
That configuration is very unusual (it was used for pre-Pentium
multiprocessor systems).

Your machine is behaving as expected. If you need NMI watchdog support
you'll have to find or add some other programmable NMI source.

/Mikael