Re: GPL and Nvidia

From: Andrew Walrond (andrew@walrond.org)
Date: Thu Jan 02 2003 - 06:19:09 EST

I think we were suckered into the GPL by lawyers ;)

Seriously though, I believe the GPL is the biggest impediment to
gnu/linux and open source software that anyone could possibly come up
with. Frankly I'm suprised NVidia and others bother supporting linux,
but am very glad they do.

IMO The only license we need is

"Here is, for what it's worth, some software. You can use it in any way
you like; modify it, fix it and if you can make some money from it -
great! Go feed your family. Fixes, changes and improvements are always
welcome, but not mandatory. Enjoy!"

We'd likely have to set up a hardship fund for lawyers though. Wouldn't
want them to starve ;)

Too late for gnu/linux though. :(