[OT] For those who want From: lines on bk-commits-* mail

From: Daniel Jacobowitz (dan@debian.org)
Date: Thu Jan 02 2003 - 20:20:11 EST

Mentioned this when the list was first set up; the decision seemed to be
that using a fixed From: line was more polite to people who hadn't
volunteered to have their email addresses archived, or more likely to put
discussions in the right place, or other things along those lines. Well,
for those who would prefer to look at a mailbox summary and know who commits
came from, here's a simple way to do it. I'm sure someone on the list can
find a more elegant solution.

.procmailrc:
:0
* ^X-Mailing-List:.*bk-commits-head@
{
  :0f
  | $HOME/bin/set-from.sh

  :0 :
  bk-commits-head/
}

set-from.sh:
#!/bin/sh

cat > $HOME/.tmp/bk-head-tmp.$$

from=`grep '^ChangeSet' $HOME/.tmp/bk-head-tmp.$$ | head -1 | awk '{print $NF}'`
if test -n "$from"; then
 formail -i "From: $from" < $HOME/.tmp/bk-head-tmp.$$
else
 cat $HOME/.tmp/bk-head-tmp.$$
fi

rm $HOME/.tmp/bk-head-tmp.$$

Just mkdir $HOME/.tmp before trying this. The tmpdir handling is blatantly
unsafe, so I don't recommend using /tmp.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz