Re: Nvidia and its choice to read the GPL "differently"

From: venom@sns.it
Date: Fri Jan 03 2003 - 06:17:29 EST

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Richard Stallman wrote:

> Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 02:50:23 -0500
> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> To: mark@mark.mielke.cc
> Cc: efault@gmx.de, Hell.Surfers@cwctv.net, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
> Subject: Re: Nvidia and its choice to read the GPL "differently"
>
> Actually, since Linux is the kernel, and GNU/Linux (or GNU+Linux) is
> the collection of tools that make the full system,
>
> That's almost correct, but not quite. GNU/Linux is the whole system,
> the combination of GNU and Linux.

err, excuse me, but where are XFree86 or KDE and so on?

they are not included in the GNU, I suppose.

So we should talk about Xfree86/KDE/GNU/whatever/Linux... too long...

should we focus just on what is mandatory for a basic networked system?

Basically, I could use a libc4/5 based system, withouth gcc and so on, with BSD
inetutils and BSD fileutils (ls cp and so on), ksh anc csh as shells, and linux
kernel.
How should I call this system? (and I have also
systems not running glibc right now, depending on when I installed them.)

I can understand your reasons, and I can also agree with them, but
I am quite impressed reading a nominalistic discussion on lkml, with almost the
same argumentations and logical plant of medioeval nominalistic
syllogismi.

It is quite interesting, the story of culture is quite a wheel, and
people mental attitude, storically, seems to be recurisive (not evolutionary).

Luigi