Re: Nvidia and its choice to read the GPL "differently"

From: Mark Rutherford (mark@justirc.net)
Date: Fri Jan 03 2003 - 23:37:21 EST

Watch 'Revolution OS' for more rants.
I did. I saw a lot of rants.

I have been using LINUX or the LINUX KERNEL for a long time, probable since
1993ish
I like LINUX...
but this buisness of the 'system' being the utilities I find hard to swallow.

I appreciate the work of BOTH Linux Torvals AND Richard Stallman
without either of these people, we would not have what we have.
but can we just, get along at least?
there is more than enough room for glory here.

Richard Stallman wrote:

> A rather misguided person wrote this:
>
> This is the Linux-kernel list. It deals with
> Linux-kernel issues. It does not deal with
> your continual attempt to claim some sort of
> credit for the work of thousands.
>
> He wants to give all the credit for the whole system to just one
> person. I'm asking people to give a group of thousands of people
> credit *also*. In which of these two alternatives does one person
> claim credit for the work of thousands? The "Linux" alternative does
> that. If he applied his own criterion even-handedly to these two
> alternatives, he would call the system "GNU/Linux". But he doesn't
> apply it even-handedly; he has led himself to apply a double standard.
>
> Why does an intelligent person do this? He is clinging to the idea
> that "Linux" is the right name for the system, and that requires
> distorting something. Just as some people insist the Earth is flat,
> or that astrology makes valid predictions, others believe that the
> whole system is Linux. All of them have to find a way to deny or
> ignore the facts in order to go on believing what they believe.
>
> If you call the system "Linux", you are misinforming other people:
> teaching them a false picture of the system's history. Some of them
> may become so attached to the false picture that it distorts their
> thinking. If you call it "GNU/Linux", this won't happen.
>
> -

Regards,
Mark Rutherford
mark@justirc.net