2.4.20 DVD Driver problem !?

From: yoda@cef.org.tw
Date: Sat Jan 04 2003 - 12:55:20 EST

Environment:
VIA Chipset vt82c686b
320MB RAM
AMD Duron 750
/proc/modules:
nvidia 1593984 10
nls_cp437 5148 3 (autoclean)

hda: QUANTUM FIREBALLP AS40.0, ATA DISK drive
hdb: QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 15, ATA DISK drive
hdc: CD-540E, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdd: ASUS DVD-ROM E608, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

Kernel version : 2.4.20

Trouble software : xine,mplayer,ogle

Problem describe:

After I compiled kernel 2.4.20 , I found the DVD-rom action is something
strange !
First , I used it to play game .... work fine no trouble happen, the game
CD is in CDROM type of course.
Then I download xine-1.0.0-beta1 and compile it, it works perfectly except
DVD vedio playing.
When I play an DVD-vedio , it failed to read correctly and put log in
/var/log/messages as below.

Jan 4 01:44:30 localhost kernel: hdd: command error: error=0x54
Jan 4 01:44:30 localhost kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 16:40 (hdd),
sector 2077592
Jan 4 01:44:30 localhost kernel: hdd: command error: status=0x51 {
DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 4 01:44:30 localhost kernel: hdd: command error: error=0x54
Jan 4 01:44:30 localhost kernel: hdd: command error: status=0x51 {
DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

I tried use hdparm to turn off the dma support on /dev/hdd ( The DVD drive
) ,I successful turn off the dma support.
But, it did'nt change any thing !
So , I download kernel 2.4.18 ,because I remeber that I can play DVD vedio
under this version.
As I compiled and lilo it then I reboot my PC.
Ok ! Now I play DVD vedio using the same version xine, the difference is
the kernel version is 2.4.18.
Xine works perfectly, I can play DVD vedio on my PC again !

Below is my Configuration of 2.4.18 at "IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block
devices" part :
<*> Include IDE/ATA-2 DISK support
[*] Use multi-mode by default
<*> Include IDE/ATAPI CDROM support
< > Include IDE/ATAPI TAPE support
< > Include IDE/ATAPI FLOPPY support
<*> SCSI emulation support
--- IDE chipset support/bugfixes
[ ] CMD640 chipset bugfix/support
[ ] ISA-PNP EIDE support
[ ] RZ1000 chipset bugfix/support
[*] Generic PCI IDE chipset support
[*] Sharing PCI IDE interrupts support
[*] Generic PCI bus-master DMA support
[ ] Boot off-board chipsets first support
[*] Use PCI DMA by default when available
[ ] ATA Work(s) In Progress (EXPERIMENTAL)
:
: I don't choose
:
[*] VIA82CXXX chipset support

And below is the Configuration of 2.4.20 at "IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block
devices" part :
<*> Include IDE/ATA-2 DISK support
[*] Use multi-mode by default
[ ] Auto-Geometry Resizing support
<*> Include IDE/ATAPI CDROM support
< > Include IDE/ATAPI TAPE support
< > Include IDE/ATAPI FLOPPY support
<*> SCSI emulation support
[*] IDE Taskfile Access( No effect ! I had tried )
--- IDE chipset support/bugfixes
[ ] CMD640 chipset bugfix/support
[ ] ISA-PNP EIDE support
[ ] RZ1000 chipset bugfix/support
[*] Generic PCI IDE chipset support
[*] Sharing PCI IDE interrupts support
[*] Generic PCI bus-master DMA support
[ ] Boot off-board chipsets first support
[*] Use PCI DMA by default when available
[*] Enable DMA only for disks( No effect ! I had tried )
[ ] ATA Work(s) In Progress (EXPERIMENTAL)
:
: I don't choose
:
[*] VIA82CXXX chipset support

These are the informations I could offer, if you need more details ,
please tell me.
I am willing to assist you to solve this problem.
You are doing very great works, I am appreciate your works very much !
May God bless this work !