printk__R_ver_printk

From: Peter T. Breuer (ptb@it.uc3m.es)
Date: Sat Jan 04 2003 - 21:33:09 EST

I just compiled 2.4.20 with MODVERSIONS set, and all th ekernel symbols
came out as (according to /proc/ksyms)

     printk__R_ver_printk

(for example). System.map and the modules themselves are clean. No suffixes
on the symbol names, of any kind.

I couldn't load any modules, of course, not even with insmod -f.
The modules themselves depmod'ed fine against the System.map

Does anyone recognize this symptom? I presume it's a messed up binutils
or modutils. I did have to update binutils for some recent 2.5 kernels,
and I vaguely recall some warnings ...

 ii binutils 2.12.90.0.1-4 The GNU assembler, linker and binary utiliti
 ii util-linux 2.11b-4 Miscellaneous system utilities.
 ii gcc 2.95.2-13.1 The GNU C compiler.
 ii modutils 2.4.15-1 Linux module utilities.

I'll move gcc up to 2.95.3, but I don't think that should impact,
should it ..?

Peter