Re: [RFC] irq handling code consolidation, second try (ppc part)

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt (benh@kernel.crashing.org)
Date: Sun Jan 05 2003 - 03:56:03 EST

On Sat, 2003-01-04 at 18:41, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On 4 Jan 2003, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> >
> > The "easy" way here to implement that is to make the irq_desc array larger than
> > NR_IRQs (or rather split NR_IRQs into NR_SYS_IRQS + NR_DYNAMIC_IRQS). The
> > additional "slots" could then easily be allocated/freed. Thus, keeping my
> > cardbus example, the cardbus driver can allocate a couple of slots (that is IRQ
> > numbers) dynamically, and use it's own startup/shutdown/enable/disable/...
> > hooks for them, dealing itself with the cascade from the PCI irq.
>
> Linearizing a space like this is always a bad idea, I think.

I fully agree, I was just proposing a "simple" solution that would fit
in a feature-frozen kernel ;)

Note that if we go the full way abstracting interrupts, then the
interrupt "tree" should be separate from the device tree. The interrupt
"parent" of a device may not be (and is not in a whole lot of cases I
have to deal with on pmacs and embedded) the "bus" parent of a given
device.

I suppose there may be similar "issues" with x86 PCI chips routed to
legacy irqs, but then, I'm completely unfamiliar with the story of
interrupt routing on x86's...

on pmacs, all interrupts end up in a single interrupt controller located
in a "combo" ASIC along with other devices. This ASIC is a PCI device,
but is really the root of the interrupt tree just below the CPU itself,
regardless of the actual interrupt sources beeing located on other PCI
busses or not. On embedded, the design can be as funky as a HW designer
can imagine...

Do you think this is still 2.5 work ?

Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@kernel.crashing.org>