Re: 2.5.54-mm3

From: Andrew Morton (akpm@digeo.com)
Date: Sun Jan 05 2003 - 15:38:16 EST

uaca@alumni.uv.es wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 01:00:38AM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> >
> > http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/patches/2.5/2.5.54/2.5.54-mm3/
>
> It seems to me that the patch you pointed here doesn't include the latency
> instrumentation.

No, it doesn't. You can monitor the latency using realfeel or realfeel2
from http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/amlat.tar.gz

But that won't tell you _why_ large latencies are occurring. For that,
you'll need to apply
http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/patches/2.5/2.5.54/2.5.54-mm3/experimental/rtc-debug.patch
and run `amlat'. This combination will spit out stack backtraces whenever
there is a 2 millisecond scheduling overrun.

> Where it is the needed instrumentation to meassure it?
>
> In http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/ the are no timepeg/intlat patches for
> 2.5...

That's not suitable for this work. intlat is OK for locating and
measuring interrupts-off code paths. But it's a bit hard to drive.