Re: fs corruption with 2.4.20 IDE+md+LVM

From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom (chrome@real-time.com)
Date: Sun Jan 05 2003 - 23:49:14 EST

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 05:14:12AM +0300, Dmitry Volkoff wrote:
> > I observed filesystem corruption on my home workstation recently. I was
> > running kernel 2.4.20 (built myself with gcc 2.95.4), and ext3 with the
> > default journaling mode (ordered?).
>
> Hello,
>
> Same problem here. I have software raid-1 on 2 IDE Seagate 80G, kernel
> 2.4.20aa1 built with gcc-3.2, all filesystems are ext2, no LVM.
> FS corruption after running Cerberus test for about 8 hours.

glad to know I'm not the only one.

someone pointed out to me in a private e-mail, that the corruption may be
related to my VIA KT133 chipset. (they had a similar problem).

> > I will also point out that kernel 2.4.20-ac1 and 2.4.21-pre6 will not
> > boot on my machine; they kernel panic when detecting my IDE devices.
>
> I can confirm. Kernel 2.4.21-pre2 does not boot from a RAID device
> (/dev/md0).

sorry about the thinko in my mail. I meant 2.4.21-pre1. Glad to know I'm not
crazy, but hopefully confirmation means it'll get fixed before 2.4.21-final.

<flamebait>
maybe I just missed the arguments since I wasn't reading LKML at the time;
but *why* is IDE being revamped in the middle of a "stable" kernel series?
however better it may be, I don't regard the existing situation as being bad
enough to justify the risk.
</flamebait>

Carl Soderstrom.

--