Re: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in non-freedrivers?

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 19:23:36 EST

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Matthias Andree wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Jan 2003, Richard Stallman wrote:
>
> > Developing programs does not "cost money"--that is just one way to do
> > it. But sometimes a person is in a position where he can develop a
> > certain program only if he makes it non-free to raise money. If you
> > are in such a position, unless you are going to make the program free
> > software soon after, then the best thing you can do is not develop it
> > at all. Someone else will develop a free program to do the job.
> > Freedom is worth the wait.
>
> Oh, but my backup can't just wait because the hard disk is
> likely to die before someone comes up with a free software that does
> better than Tivoli although this is sorta fragile on the systems I
> maintain. Are you going to sponsor for RAID-1 for the meanwhile, until
> the wait pays off?

Well for a price you could back up around the world, and have unlimited
amounts of storage per license and have unlimited (loads will limit the
unlimited) clients and have interoporability today. But it is not free
now, but stood a strong chance of happening in 6mo for the basics. The
serious core costly features would take longer to recover. May 18mo of
the next feature, and finally 36mo for the end game.

This is in flux now because ....

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
LAD Storage Consulting Group