Re: observations on 2.5 config screens

From: Bill Davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 13:36:06 EST

On 8 Jan 2003, Robert Love wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-01-08 at 09:32, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>
> > Someone else suggested putting all the low level options like preempt,
> > smp, and the stuff in kernel-hacking into a single menu, with a better
> > name.
>
> I do not think I like this. SMP, kernel preemption, and high memory
> support are the three most fundamental choices one makes during
> configuration.

I guess, depending on your definition of fundemental. I would put any
option which affects the kernel as a whole in that category, myself.
Compiling with frame pointers comes to mind, since every object file is
changed and there are performance implications as well.

> They should be out in the open, in the beginning, in a well-labeled
> category. They only issue I see is "processor options" should be
> renamed "core options" or whatever. But that is trivial.

Processor option would select the processor and any architecture dependent
options, I would think. Something like "kernel characteristics" could have
options like smp.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc