Re: 2.5.54: ide-scsi still buggy?

From: Douglas Gilbert (dougg@torque.net)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 17:26:28 EST

Lukas Hejtmanek wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 09:17:46PM -0500, Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:
> > > It freezes kernel (sysrq do nothing) after lines:
> > > scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
> > > Vendor: TEAC Model: CD-W512EB Rev: 2
> > > Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> > > scsi scan: host 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 0 identifier too long,
> > > length 60, max 50. \
> > > Device might be improperly identified.
> > > while attaching it to /dev/hde works ok. Why?
> >
> > This has been observed to cause an oops on some boxes and nothing
> > on mine,
> > try this patch from Andries
>
> Acctualy this patch caused only I do not see "scsi scan:
> host 0 channel 0 id
> 0 lun 0 identifier too long, length 60, max 50. Device might
> be improperly identified."
>
> how ever after above message kernel causes hard hw lockup.
> IDE activity LED is turned on but nothing else works. (nor
> sysrq)
>
> I believe that code that report this message causes hw lockup.
> sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

There are several different patches to ide-scsi in Linus's
snapshots that will most likely appear in lk 2.5.55 .
See:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.5/snapshots/
with patch-2.5.54-bk6 being the most recent. See the associated
log for a listing of the ide-scsi changes.

It would be interesting to hear if that snapshot fixes your
ide-scsi problem.

Doug Gilbert