Re: USB CF reader reboots PC - DEVFS did it

From: Murray J. Root (murrayr@brain.org)
Date: Thu Jan 09 2003 - 11:06:33 EST

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 11:51:30AM -0500, Murray J. Root wrote:
> ASUS P4S533 (SiS645DX chipset)
> P4 2GHz
> 1G PC2700 RAM
> SanDisk SDDR-77 ImageMate Dual Card Reader (using only CF cards)
>
> ----------------------------
> devfs compiled in to kernel, devfs=nomount in lilo.conf
>
> Insert CF card. mount it. cd to it, do reads and/or writes
> umount card. remove card.
> insert a different card (does not happen if the same card is used)
> mount it. system reboots. logs are corrupted
>
> Doesn't happen every time for read - sometimes I can read 2 or 3 cards first
> Happens every time for write - if I write to a card then changing cards
> causes a reboot
>
> ----------------------------
> devfs=mount in lilo.conf
>
> Insert CF card.
> ls /dev shows sda and sda1
> mount it.
> ls /dev shows sda - no sda1
> cd to mounted CF card
> process hangs, sd-mod & usb-storage "busy"
> rmmod -f usb-storage or sd-mod causes PC to stop
> (keyboard & mouse unresponsive, wmfire frozen, net disconnects)
>
> reboot
> Insert CF card.
> ls /dev shows sda & sda1
> mount it.
> ls /dev shows sda - no sda1
> umount it
> ls /dev shows sda - no sda1
> modprobe -r sd-mod && modprobe sd-mod
> ls /dev shows sda & sda1

New - 2.5.55
No more reboot - just a seg fault when trying to mount a new card
and process hangs if I try again (not surprising).

Removed devfs completely from build - everything works fine.
Can mount, read, write, umount many cards without a problem.

--
Murray J. Root
DISCLAIMER: http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/