Re: [patch 2.5] 2-pass PCI probing, generic part

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Thu Jan 09 2003 - 17:16:20 EST

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Ivan Kokshaysky wrote:

> Note that in most cases PCI-PCI bridges can be safely excluded from
> pci_read_bases() simply because they have neither regular BARs nor
> ROM BAR (even though PCI spec allows that).

This might be a good approach to take regardless - don't read pci-pci
bridge BAR (or host-bridge BAR's for that matter), simply because

 (a) bridges are more "interesting" than regular devices, and disabling
     part of them might be a stupid thing.
 (b) we're generally not really interested in the end result anyway

Hmm?

                Linus