Re: [patch 2.5] 2-pass PCI probing, generic part

From: Ivan Kokshaysky (ink@jurassic.park.msu.ru)
Date: Thu Jan 09 2003 - 18:19:04 EST

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 02:16:20PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Ivan Kokshaysky wrote:
> >
> > Note that in most cases PCI-PCI bridges can be safely excluded from
> > pci_read_bases() simply because they have neither regular BARs nor
> > ROM BAR (even though PCI spec allows that).
>
> This might be a good approach to take regardless - don't read pci-pci
> bridge BAR (or host-bridge BAR's for that matter), simply because
>
> (a) bridges are more "interesting" than regular devices, and disabling
> part of them might be a stupid thing.
> (b) we're generally not really interested in the end result anyway

PCI-PCI, PCI-ISA bridges - probably, but not host bridges. On x86 they
often have quite a few BARs, like AGP window, AGP MMIO, power management
etc., which we cannot ignore.

OTOH, with that patch we can control probing for any given class of
devices with a 4-5 lines fixups, per architecture. :-)

Ivan.