Re: 2.4.20, .text.lock.swap cpu usage? (ibm x440)

From: Brian Tinsley (btinsley@emageon.com)
Date: Thu Jan 09 2003 - 22:17:56 EST

>>>At some point in the past, I wrote:
>>> Either pollwait tables (invisible in 2.4 and 2.5), kernel stacks of
>>> threads (which don't get pae_pgd's and are hence invisible in 2.4
>>> and 2.5), or pagecache, with a much higher likelihood of pagecache.

>>On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 06:44:10PM -0600, Brian Tinsley wrote:
>> The "kernel stacks of threads" may have some bearing on my incarnation
>> of this problem. We have several heavily threaded Java applications
>> running at the time the live-locks occur. At our most problematic site,
>> one application has a bug that can cause hundreds of timer threads (I
>> mean like 800 or so!) to be "accidentally" created. This site is
>> scheduled for an upgrade either tonight or tomorrow, so I will leave the
>> system as it is and see if I can still cause the live-lock to manifest
>> itself after the upgrade.

>There is no extant implementation of paged stacks yet.

For the most part, this is probably a boundary condition, right? Anyone
that intentionally has 800+ threads in a single application probably
needs to reevaluate their design :)

>I'm working on a different problem (mem_map on 64GB on 2.5.x). I probably
> won't have time to implement it in the near future, I probably won't
be doing it
>vs. 2.4.x, and I won't have to if someone else does it first.

Is that a hint to someone in particular?

--

-[========================]- -[ Brian Tinsley ]- -[ Chief Systems Engineer ]- -[ Emageon ]- -[========================]-