Re: any chance of 2.6.0-test*?

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 12:19:08 EST

On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 16:10, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> Any specific concerns/issues/wishlist items you want taken care of
> before doing it or is it a "generalized comfort level" kind of thing?
> Let me know, I'd be much obliged for specific directions to move in.

IDE is all broken still and will take at least another three months to
fix - before we get to 'improve'. The entire tty layer locking is terminally
broken and nobody has even started fixing it. Just try a mass of parallel
tty/pty activity . It was problematic before, pre-empt has taken it to dead,
defunct and buried.

Most of the drivers still don't build either.

I think its important that we get to the stage that we can actually say

- It compiles (as close to all the mainstream bits of it as possible)
- The stuff that is destined for the bitbucket is marked in Config and people
  agree it should go
- It works (certainly the common stuff)
- Its statistically unlikely to eat your computer
- It passes Cerberus uniprocessor and smp with/without pre-empt

Otherwise everyone wil rapidly decide that ".0-pre" means ".0 as in Windows"
at which point you've just destroyed your testing base.

Given all the new stuff should be in, I'd like to see a Linus the meanie
round of updating for a while which is simply about getting all the 2.4 fixes
and the 2.5 driver compile bugs nailed, and if it doesn't fix a compile bug
or a logic bug it doesn't go in.

No more "ISAPnP TNG" and module rewrites please

Alan