Re: more thoughts on kernel config organization

From: Sam Ravnborg (sam@ravnborg.org)
Date: Sun Jan 12 2003 - 03:04:06 EST

On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 11:17:46PM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> how about something like
>
> ext2
> ext3
> reiser
> XFS
> JFS
> quotas
> MS/DOS related filesystems
> MD-DOS
> VFAT
> NTFS
> other OS-related filessytems
> Apple
> ADFS
> BeOS
> BFS
> QNX
> System V/XENIX/...
> Pseudo(?) filessytems
> /proc
> /dev/pts
> /dev

I like the structure proposed above. I for myself has often wondered why
ext2 was not named ext2, and hidden between lots of less used stuff.
If you sort in alphabetic order, then be consistent.

If you are going to reorganise fs/Kconfig I would suggest moving
ext3, reiserfs etc. specific stuff down in their respective directories,
and then source as appropriate.
There is no reason to keep that in a centralised placed, when it can
be distributed.
For simple (Kconfig wise) stuff like CODA or Intermezzo keep them
in fs/KConfig.

        Sam