Re: Nervous with 2.4.21-pre3 and -pre3-ac*

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Sun Jan 12 2003 - 15:18:38 EST

On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 18:55, ghugh Song wrote:
> Many people including me are getting unusual Kernel
> trouble recently with 2.4.21-pre3-ac*. In my case, with
> 2.4.21-pre3-ac2 I got segmentation fault from
> a command (tar) where I never suspected. Yet no one seems to know
> what part of the the kernel update caused all this
> trouble.
>
> Does anyone have any guess?

At the moment I am not sure. Its stable on my boxes using gcc 3.1 and
built from make distclean. At least one reporter found a patch and
build over an old built tree failed but a clean tree did not.

The obvious candidates assuming 2.4.21-pre3 is stable are the mm/shmem.c
changes (you can back out just the diff to that file and retest which
would be interesting), or the buffer cache changes which I plan to drop
out to test soon.

Neither of these two changes are due for Marcelo.

Are you using highmem (> 900Mb RAM in the box)

Alan