Re: any chance of 2.6.0-test*?

From: Emiliano Gabrielli (emiliano.gabrielli@roma2.infn.it)
Date: Sun Jan 12 2003 - 16:58:48 EST

<quote who="Rob Wilkens">
> On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 16:40, Rik van Riel wrote:
>> OK, now imagine the dcache locking changing a little bit.
>> You need to update this piece of (duplicated) code in half
>> a dozen places in just this function and no doubt in dozens
>> of other places all over fs/*.c.
>>
>> >From a maintenance point of view, a goto to a single block
>> of error handling code is easier to maintain.
>>

> There's no reason, though, that the error handling/cleanup code can't be in an
> entirely separate function, and if speed is needed, there's no reason it can't be an
> "inline" function. Or am I oversimplifying things again?
>
> -Rob

you do, if you inline the code and every drive writer use this tecnique the kernel will
be much bigger don't you think ?!?

Makeing a simple function instead is quite slower I think... don't forget that goto are
used only in error recovery routines ...

You can simply build a "stack" of labels .. IMHO this is a great way to be sure of the
right order we are performing cleanup/recovery ...

--
Emiliano Gabrielli

dip. di Fisica 2° Università di Roma "Tor Vergata"