Re: 2.4.20, .text.lock.swap cpu usage? (ibm x440) [rescued]

From: Brian Tinsley (btinsley@emageon.com)
Date: Sun Jan 12 2003 - 22:41:35 EST

>Which driver are you using for the QLA23xx?

The 6.01.00-fo driver from QLogic.

>I've missed the beginning of this thread, but problem here may not
>have anything to with the number of threads you're runnng, rather it
>may well be the qla2300 driver, if you are using the qlogic v6 driver.

I was getting nailed by an issue involving reaping inodes (or the lack
thereof). I don't believe the QLogic driver was contributing to my
problem. I've had this driver running in my lab and at numerous client
sites for quite some time and have never seen it even burp.

>I have a test system in work which is similar to yours (2x qla2310F,
>SMP (dual athlon) attached to FC RAID storage) and it is easy to live
>lock with any kind of intensive IO, eg bonnie++.
>
>The Redhat 5.31-RH driver is about the most stable one, but i havnt
>extensively stress tested it. All of the qlogic v6 drivers are trivial
>to lock. (they spin forever in the qla2300 ISR - qlogic have beta
>drivers, but they still have the same problem).

Interesting. Again, I've never seen this behavior, but I appreciate your
mentioning it. It's definitely something to keep an eye out for.

--

Brian Tinsley Chief Systems Engineer Emageon