Re: broken umount -f

From: Peter Åstrand (peter@cendio.se)
Date: Mon Jan 13 2003 - 04:44:33 EST

>>For as long as I remember, umount -f has been broken. I got a reminder
>>of this fact today when we took an older NFS server out of use. I had to
>>reboot almost all machines that had mounts from this server. Not nice.

> AFAICS It works for me.
>
> Are you using the 'intr' mount option,

Yes, as often I can. But IMHO, it should be possible to unmount an
unreachable NFS fs even if it wasn't mounted with "intr". Otherwise we
have a quite silly "sysadmin trap".

>and are you remembering to kill
> those processes that are actually using the mount point first?

One some machines, I killed more or less everything. It didn't help. One
some other machines, I couldn't kill so blindly. Remember, both "lsof" and
"fuser" hangs.

Also, as far as I understand, Solaris 8 does not require that you kill all
processes before unmounting, if you use the "-f" flag (processes will get
EIO). Would it be possible to implement this feature in Linux? That would
be really nice.

Regards, Peter