Re: any chance of 2.6.0-test*?

From: Terje Eggestad (terje.eggestad@scali.com)
Date: Mon Jan 13 2003 - 09:34:00 EST

On man, 2003-01-13 at 12:09, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> writes:

> > > I thought Edsger Dijkstra coined the "gotos are evil" bit in his
> > > structured programming push?
> >

> Actually Edsger Dijkstra wrote a paper entitled "Goto considered Harmful"
> He never called them evil. And the title was more for shock value to
> grab peoples attention. For the beginners Dijkstra did not
> distinguish between goto, break, return, and continue.
>
> You can find many of his papers at:
> http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/ewd02xx/EWD215.PDF
to be exact. Reading it you can tell exactly how much of an
mathematician Dijkstra really was. At these times It's best to keep in
mind a quote:

"I used to understand the Theory of Relativity, but then the
mathematicians got hold of it."
  -- Albert Einstein

> What he was after was simple and maintainable code, and from
> everything I have read, I think he would have no major problems with
> the Linux kernel code.

Well, in the formentioned paper he made the case that while - do, and
do-while are superfluous; we should all use recursion instead.
Out of respect of the dead, I'm not going to say what I think of that.

Since C don't allow goto beyond it's function, most of what was
problematic of goto's aren't legal anyway.
But I submit that those that think goto's are evil never had to deal
with smp locks.

Most goto's I've seen deal with error handling, and I guess much could
be "solved/hidden" with a "on_return { };" clause, but...
An on_return would be a simplified try/trow/catch that is limited to the
function.
IMHO: a trow that is catch'ed somewhere up the call stack, is just as
much an evil as goto.

> > So
> > these days I can only rant about Niklaus Wirth, who took the "structured
> > programming" thing and enforced it in his languages (Pascal and Modula-2),
> > and thus forced his evil on untold generations of poor CS students who had
> > to learn langauges that weren't actually useful for real work.
>
> Now that is something worth criticizing!

Considering that students are bottled on Java these day, they're still
learning a language unusable for real work.

Terje Eggestad mailto:terje.eggestad@scali.no Scali Scalable Linux Systems http://www.scali.com

Olaf Helsets Vei 6 tel: +47 22 62 89 61 (OFFICE) P.O.Box 150, Oppsal +47 975 31 574 (MOBILE) N-0619 Oslo fax: +47 22 62 89 51 NORWAY _________________________________________________________________________