Re: Dell precision M50 and _very_ slow process startup

From: Ian Collier (Ian.Collier@comlab.ox.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jan 13 2003 - 11:41:03 EST

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 10:27:32AM -0600, Roe Peterson wrote:
> I'm guessing that this process watches for cd insertion, changes
> to home directory, et. al.

Something like that. I think it's part of GNOME and is responsible for
making sure there's a CD icon on the screen, or something.

We had a different problem with this beast after installing RH6 some
time ago. Every few seconds it would cause a spew of messages to the
syslog reporting basically what we knew: there is no CD in the drive.
It turned out though that these messages went away when the CD was
properly reconfigured as a CD-writer by appending "hdc=ide-scsi" to
the boot parameters. Not that this is at all relevant...

Anyway, no I don't know much about it.

imc