Re: Nvidia and its choice to read the GPL "differently"

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Mon Jan 13 2003 - 12:22:27 EST

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Jesse Pollard wrote:

> On Monday 13 January 2003 08:32 am, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> [snip]
> > As previously shown, most of the programs that "come with" Linux,
> > and therefore are part of the "Operating System" to which you lay
> > claim, were developed by students at the University of California,
> > Berkeley. They even contain a Copyright notice, embedded in the
> > executable files. Anybody can do:
> >
> > strings /usr/bin/* | grep Regents
> > strings /bin/* | grep Regents
> >
> > ...and see all the copyright notices embedded in the programs to
> > which you now claim credit.
>
> And by my count (RH 7.3) that comes to 52 for /usr/bin/*
> of those 52:
>
> rdist has 12 entries of its' own.
> rdistd has 7 more.
>
> The majority of the comands deal with mail(7), and postgres (8).
> Of the compiling ones: lex and yacc show one each, gprof has two.
>
> The rest all have one reference.
>
> Of these only those dealing with the network (telnet, ftp rdist,rdistd...)
> would be considered part of the core utilities - and even then they are
> discouraged in use (weak security).
>
> The rest of the files (3080) do not have a BSD base.
>
> In /bin/* I find only 4. /bin/csh, /bin/mail, /bin/ping and /bin/tcsh.
> Of these I only consider /bin/ping a core utility.
>

> In my opinion, that is not enough to claim a BSD foundation.
> --

The early Ygddrasil distributions, of which I posted the 'grep'
several days ago, show that most of the files are BSD based.

I attach it here for your pleasure.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Anybody remember this Copyright notice?? Most ALL of the
early Linux Distributions contained programs with this
notice:

/*
 * Copyright (c) 1983 Regents of the University of California.
 * All rights reserved.
 *
 * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms are permitted
 * provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are
 * duplicated in all such forms and that any documentation,
 * advertising materials, and other materials related to such
 * distribution and use acknowledge that the software was developed
 * by the University of California, Berkeley. The name of the
 * University may not be used to endorse or promote products derived
 * from this software without specific prior written permission.
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR
 * IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED
 * WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTIBILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
 */

#ifndef lint
char copyright[] =
"@(#) Copyright (c) 1983 Regents of the University of California.\n\
 All rights reserved.\n";
#endif /* not lint */

...however. Something happened so that this code was lifted
"whole cloth" into some later distributions that contained
the GNU License notice. By some unknown mystery, the embeded
copyright notice was eliminated as well. However, the code
remained the same.

If I had anything to do with so-called GNU, I'd keep my mouth
shut so this wholesale appropriation of intellectual property
was not investigated.

Here is an early distribution of Linux:

Script started on Thu Jan 9 10:55:02 2003
# cd /usr/bin
# strings * | grep Regents
@(#) Copyright (c) 1980 Regents of the University of California.
@(#) Copyright (c) 1980 The Regents of the University of California.
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
@(#) Copyright (c) 1990 The Regents of the University of California.
@(#) Copyright (c) 1989 The Regents of the University of California.
@(#) Copyright (c) 1990 The Regents of the University of California.
@(#) Copyright (c) 1990 The Regents of the University of California.
@(#) Copyright (c) 1985, 1989 Regents of the University of California.
@(#) Copyright (c) 1989 The Regents of the University of California.
Based on BSD gprof, copyright 1983 Regents of the University of California.
@(#) Copyright (c) 1986 Regents of the University of California.
@(#) Copyright (c) 1983, 1989 Regents of the University of California.
@(#) Copyright (c) 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995 by NCEMRSoft and Copyright (c) 1985, 1989 Regents of the University of California.
@(#) Copyright (c) 1983, 1990 The Regents of the University of California.
@(#) Copyright (c) 1993 Regents of the University of California.
@(#) Copyright (c) 1987, 1992 The Regents of the University of California.
@(#) Copyright (c) 1983 The Regents of the University of California.
@(#) Copyright (c) 1988 Regents of the University of California.
@(#) Copyright (c) 1991 The Regents of the University of California.
@(#) Copyright (c) 1988, 1990 Regents of the University of California.
@(#) Copyright (c) 1983 Regents of the University of California.
@(#) Copyright (c) 1980, 1991 The Regents of the University of California.
[...]
# cd /bin
# strings * | grep Regents
@(#) Copyright (c) 1980, 1987, 1988 The Regents of the University of California.
@(#) Copyright (c) 1980 Regents of the University of California.
@(#) Copyright (c) 1980 Regents of the University of California.
@(#) Copyright (c) 1980 The Regents of the University of California.
@(#) Copyright (c) 1989 The Regents of the University of California.
@(#) Copyright (c) 1991 The Regents of the University of California.
# cd /sbin
# strings * | grep Regents
strings: control: No such file or directory
strings: discard: No such file or directory
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
strings: server: No such file or directory
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
strings: sysinit: No such file or directory
# exit
Script done on Thu Jan 9 10:57:53 2003

So much for tha absolute bullshit that GNU started Linux and that
there is somehow a GNU/Linux. Most all of the early distributions
used programs ported from BSD. The Linux-BSD emulation was so good
that most programs needed to only be recompiled.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is the true history of the "Linux Operating
System" with all of the components that RMS insists are his, actually
coming from the University of California, Berkeley.

Don't be bambozzled by the persons who will re-write history to glorify
their accomplishments. Saying something over-and-over again doesn't
make it true. Facts stand alone. They only need to be noted. Bullshit
needs repeating.