Re: [RFC] Consolidate vmlinux.lds.S files

From: Sam Ravnborg (sam@ravnborg.org)
Date: Mon Jan 13 2003 - 13:04:50 EST

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 12:36:32AM +0100, Ingo Oeser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > This is first version, where I have converted i386, s390 and sparc64.
> > The latter two is not tested, only to make sure it can be used by more
> > than one platform.
>
> Liker scripts are hard enough to read, so I would not like to see
> more CPP magic here. Consolidation should stop, where the
> readability stops.

Hi Ingo & Eric.

The purpose was to define common stuff in a single place.
Ask Rusty Russell if it is fun to add the same section to > 50
.lds files.

Based on the feedback I will try to come up with a lighter proposal,
that does not hurt readability.
I still want the common stuff separated away.

And I will in the process try to add a bit more descriptive comments,
I agree the linker scripts are hard to read today. It would help if people
cared to spend a few more lines explaning the actual usage.
Having such explanation in a common place would make the chances for
an update of the comments bigger.

        Sam