Re: system freezes when using udma on promise pdc20268

From: Samuel Flory (sflory@rackable.com)
Date: Mon Jan 13 2003 - 20:38:23 EST

Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I experience cold freezes of my new system reproducably (can still
>toggle numlock, but on alt+sysrq+t it freezes completely, watchdog_nmi=1
>does not help so no printout over serial console) when I enable any
>udma mode >0 using the old or new pdc202xx driver.
>
>However the system seems to work stably (as far I can tell) when using
>the mdma0 or pio modes.
>
>The setup is asus a7v8x with sound/ide/firewire onboard. Two 180GB WDC
>WD1800JB-00DUA0 on the primary and secondary internal VIA controller and
>3 drives on two pdc20268, where the third hard disk is on the secondary
>controller (I explain later why!). All harddisk are jumpered to be
>master's.

  Are you stating this correctly. You've got 2 drives on the PDC20268
on a single ide chain jumpered as masters? You should have one jumpered
as a master and a as a slave. A single ide chain can have only one master.

--
There is no such thing as obsolete hardware.
Merely hardware that other people don't want.