Re: IPMI

From: Paul Mackerras (paulus@samba.org)
Date: Tue Jan 14 2003 - 04:23:07 EST

Rusty Russell writes:

> Telling me what IPMI is, and why I might need it, would be a good
> thing... Please, Corey, I'm feeling generation-gapped by the
> acronyms...

There is a Documentation/IPMI.txt, which would serve as an excellent
example of how _not_ to write a documentation file, should you ever
decide to write a "Rusty's Unreliable Guide to Writing Kernel
Documentation" and need an example to pillory. I quote:

> The Linux IPMI Driver
> ---------------------
> Corey Minyard
> <minyard@mvista.com>
> <minyard@acm.org>
>
> This document describes how to use the IPMI driver for Linux. If you
> are not familiar with IPMI itself, see the web site at
> http://www.intel.com/design/servers/ipmi/index.htm. IPMI is a big
> subject and I can't cover it all here!

Maybe it can't all be covered here, but some basic explanation of what
IPMI is and does is essential, even if just so that people who don't
need IPMI can work that out.

Paul.