Re: PATCH: [2.4.21-pre3] IDE error recovery

From: Ross Biro (rossb@google.com)
Date: Tue Jan 14 2003 - 12:36:57 EST

Ross Biro wrote:

> One of the drives that has trouble claims ATA-2 through ATA-6, which
> is interesting, This means this device claims to support ATA-5, hence
> we should be able to interpret the bits in the Identify device
> according to ATA-5 which means it supports ATA-2 which it clearly does
> not. Only 1 of the 3 different drives I've looked at gets it right
> and does not claim ATA-2 support when it does not support it. I'll
> drop an email to a couple of manufacturers and let them know their
> drives have a problem.

I've just checked the latest drives from 4 different manufacturers. 3
of them claim support for ATA-2 through ATA-6 and all of them have
trouble with IDLEIMMEDIATE sent as part of the error recovery. I've
already sent an email to 2 of the vendors and I have a meeting already
scheduled with the third tomorrow.

    Ross