Re: [BUG/WARNING?] 2.5.57 ALSA sound/core/pcm_lib.c

From: Takashi Iwai (tiwai@suse.de)
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 04:31:38 EST

At Wed, 15 Jan 2003 01:27:37 +0100 (CET),
Martijn Uffing wrote:

> Ave people.
>
> In 2.5.57 I get a bug/warning when I'm using xmms. Xmms is configured for
> OSS output,and the kernel is configured for ALSA sound including OSS emulation.
>
> The following message is found in dmesg.
> "ALSA sound/core/pcm_lib.c:123: Unexpected hw_pointer value (stream = 0,
> delta: -280, max jitter = 8192): wrong interrupt acknowledge? "
> I tried to reproduce the error and got another one. Only know the
> delta
> is -1008.
>
> I didn't notice this messages until I looked in dmesg. So no hickup or
> something from xmms. The song played fine.
> So the question is: Is this just a warning or a bug?

the message appears when the period (fragment) has not been processed
enough fast as expected. a typical reason is the delay of hardware
interrupts, but this could be, of course, a bug of the driver, too.

this would be a bit problem if the application uses small numbers of
periods. but in the case of xmms, it won't be serious.
if you don't see such a message not too often, you can ignore it...
(at least, i've never heard about this kind of bug on ens1371 driver.)

--
Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de>		SuSE Linux AG - www.suse.de
ALSA Developer				ALSA Project - www.alsa-project.org