Re: [RFC] add module reference to struct tty_driver

From: John Bradford (john@grabjohn.com)
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 06:12:08 EST

> > > Note that its the same in 2.4 as well. iirc, the BKL was removed from
> > > module loading/unloading sometime in the 2.3 timeline.
> >
> > Surely no recent code should be making that assumption anyway - the
> > BKL is being removed all over the place.
>
> The TTY layer isn't "recent code", its "very old code"

Oh, I know, I was just thinking aloud and not making much sense, ( :-)
) - what I really meant was is anybody writing new code without the
near-future BKL changes in mind, and if so, shouldn't it be avoided
now to save work in 2.7? I.E. is the BKL officially depreciated?

> and (IMO) removing the BKL from the TTY layer is a far from trivial
> matter.
>
> I believe at this point in the 2.5 cycle, we should not be looking
> to remove the BKL.

I think there were hints in another thread of a TTY layer overhaul in
2.7.

John.