Re: [OFFTOPIC] RMS and reactions to him

From: Richard Stallman (rms@gnu.org)
Date: Fri Jan 17 2003 - 19:47:01 EST

    Trying to force the name "GNU/Linux" will never stick for many reasons,

It isn't useful to second-guess what other people will or won't do. I
will make my request to them, and they will decide how to respond.

See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#lost.

    I, for one, admit and recognize all the effort and work the GNU project did
    and I really enjoy exercising my freedom of running the GNU system on my
    hardware. This, however, won't make me call this system "GNU/Linux"
    regardless.

I'm glad you appreciate our work, but if you call the system "Linux",
you lead other people to suppose it was done by Linus. If you call
it "GNU/Linux" you will teach other people to appreciate our work too.