Re: ANN: LKMB (Linux Kernel Module Builder) version 0.1.16

From: Sam Ravnborg (sam@ravnborg.org)
Date: Sun Jan 19 2003 - 13:22:50 EST

On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 01:55:11PM +0100, Olaf Titz wrote:

> It is a bug that Documentation/modules.txt is so outdated that it
> contains little useful information any more.

An updated version that at least describe how to build modules sanely
outside the kernel tree is queued for inclusion[1].

> It is a bug that
> Documentation/kbuild/makefiles.txt is at least a bit outdated.

A totally revised makefiles.txt is queued for inclusion[1].

> It is a bug that the build process outside of the kernel tree changes
> files inside the kernel tree when MODVERSIONS is enabled. (At least
> this was the case last time I checked.) This means the kernel tree
> can't be mounted read-only, or at least you would have to do dirty
> tricks with symlinks.

I have posted 2-3 version of a "separate src-tree" patch.
But due to the existence of such weird things as oprofile and xfs it did
not work in all cases. I symlinked all makefiles, but wanted to avoid
catching the rest of the directories.
I want my queued stuff applied before revisiting this though.
Main usage has been to build kernels based on different configurations,
not to mount src on a read-only media, that's sort of a side-effect.

> It is a bug that the current Makefile can't compile modules in an
> object directory different from the source directory. This means the
> module source tree can't be mounted read-only (again, without
> resorting to symlinks).

make -C path/to/kernel/src SUBDIRS=$PWD modules
So simple when you know the trick. That what I have documented
in modules.txt.

[1] Most of what I have done has been submitted to lkml within the
past month. It can be found at http://linux-sam.bkbits.net in
the kbuild repository, where it is queued for inclusion.

        Sam