Re: "Latitude with broken BIOS" ?

From: Alessandro Suardi (ALESSANDRO.SUARDI@oracle.com)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 08:28:49 EST

Dave Jones wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 04:31:58AM -0800, Alessandro Suardi wrote:
> > I was hoping to use HT on my new Latitude C640 (P4 @ 1.8Ghz) but at boot
> > both 2.4.21-pre3 and 2.5.59 (obviously with a SMP kernel) tell me
>
> I'd be surprised^Wamazed if your laptop has HT. AFAIK, no-one is
> shipping such a system yet. Just because the CPU flags say 'ht' does
> not mean it has >1 CPU thread per CPU package.

I'd imagined this - but digging on the Intel website I couldn't find anything
 that told me "the mobile P4 can't do HT, period". As a matter of fact not
 even win2k (I'm dualbooting waiting to install Debian and RHAS...) sees
 the system as a 2-CPU.

> > "Dell Latitude with broken BIOS detected. Refusing to enable the local APIC."
>
> Lots of Dell laptops (like other vendors) crash instantly when trying to
> enable the APIC.

Well my Dells power off on rebooting from 2.5... bug 119 or 134 in
 http://bugme.osdl.org, no need to resort to messing with the APIC ;(

> > Is this anything that can be played with ?
>
> Nope.

Oh, okay. Giving up on this one...

Thanks for the quick reply ! Ciao,

--alessandro