Re: 2.4.20 USB storage (SCSI emulation)

From: Matthew Dharm (mdharm-kernel@one-eyed-alien.net)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 20:18:29 EST

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 04:41:32PM -0800, Peter Nome wrote:

> Booting 2.4.20 (Debian sid official release 5) with an Archos Jukebox Recorder 20, a
> USB storage device running a SCSI emulation with the ISD200 driver, produces a host
> of messages in the log, but it works fine. I'm getting Bad target number and an
> apparently failed "Attempting to get CSW" -- any ideas what's going on? What I DON'T
> get is a message telling me where the device is, as I should and used to -- e.g.,
> "Detected scsi disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0". However, mounting
> /dev/sda1 works:
>
> Attached scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
> SCSI device sda: 39070080 512-byte hdwr sectors (20004 MB)
> sda:<7>usb-storage: queuecommand() called
> sda1
>
> In sum, two minor bugs: the queuecommand() is fruitlessly trying to do something,
> and the user is not informed where the device is placed.

To answer, the SCSI layer should tell you where it is. In 2.5.x (in a few
more days, hopefully), devfs will tell you this.

As for queuecommand() trying to do something, this is all normal. It's
showing you that it is properly throwing away things that don't make sense
for a USB device like this. Turn off debugging if you don't like it.

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm                              Home: mdharm-usb@one-eyed-alien.net

THEY CASTRATED MY QUAKE BITS! I WANT THEM BACK!!!! -- Greg User Friendly, 3/27/1998