Re: Minor header bug? MIPS (32-bit) nlink_t sign

From: Ralf Baechle (ralf@linux-mips.org)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 04:00:20 EST

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 04:09:59PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:

> > Stephen, I guess you have already figured this out with your recent
> > 32-bit compatibility cleanup?
>
> I mainly did direct substitutions, but will have a look shortly and see
> what I think.
>
> I assume we are being compatable with Irix? Ralf?

Dunno where the signed int for nlink_t did come from. The original idea
was to avoid pointless creativity and choose data types to match IRIX
rsp. the MIPS psABI. As using a signed type didn't create any visible
problems so far this never got noticed until Jamie Lokier mailed me last
week. I now changed the definition to unsigned long for the 32-bit
kernel and unsigned int for the 64-bit kernel.

  Ralf