Re: [OFFTOPIC] RMS and reactions to him

From: Paulo Andre' (fscked@netvisao.pt)
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 05:19:03 EST

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 04:59:37 -0500
Richard Stallman wrote:

>We all agree that the proper name for the kernel is "Linux."
>The disagreement is about the name for the complete system
>that people use on desktops and servers.

Richard,

Ok, let's just say that you're reasoning is not completely way off, that
you may even make some sense with your GNU/Linux rant. Even if it was
so, is it worth the trouble you go through everyday evangelizing that?
Obviously the core developers don't give a damn about the naming scheme
(the proof is that they didn't participate on this infamous thread) and
even more obvious is the fact that people outside the development lists
also don't care. So do you think you will ever change anything? Do you
still have such hopes? Because, truth to be told, if I would go through
this list archives and quote each and every one of your emails I'd be
repeating myself an awful lot. You keep saying, with no deviation
whatsoever, that GNU/Linux gives credit to every GNU hacker and not just
to Linus or the kernel developers and pointing everyone to the GNU pages
for clarification (on what is already simple). Really, if it didn't work
until now what makes you think it'll work in the future?

Even if you were right, I honestly don't see, with all my good will, a
successful ending to your quest. Do you?

        ../Paulo