Linux application level timers?

From: Tom Sanders (developer_linux@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 17:17:03 EST

I'm writing an application server which receives
requests from other applications. For each request
received, I want to start a timer so that I can fail
the application request if it could not be completed
in max specified time.

Which Linux timer facility can be used for this?

I have checked out alarm() and signal() system calls,
but these calls doesn't take an argument, so its not
possible to associate application request with the
matured alarm.

Any inputs?

Thanks in advance,
Tom