Re: [2.5] Local printer not supported in 2.5?

From: Bill Davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 17:27:26 EST

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> I still can't print from any 2.5 kernel. I have the printer driver loaded,
> using:
> alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
> in the /etc/modprobe.conf (generated with 0.9.9pre).
>
> Modules loaded:
> Module Size Used by
> eepro100 20076 -
> mii 4064 -
> parport_pc 21992 -
> parport 35520 -
>
> There are no parport messages in dmesg, but when I did the first build I
> missed modules_install and it complained that I had the wrong (with
> preempt) modules. This persist with every kernel tried on this machine,
> from 2.5.50 forward.

Hum, that's no longer true, it appears the Linux PnP support didn't set up
the card, because if I tell the BIOS that the OS is *not* PnP aware, I
then get messages:
  pnp: the driver 'parport_pc' has been registered
  pnp: pnp: match found with the PnP device '00:12' and the driver 'parport_pc'
  parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778) [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
  parport0: irq 7 detected
  parport0: cpp_daisy: aa5500ff(00)
  parport0: assign_addrs: aa5500ff(00)
  Module parport cannot be unloaded due to unsafe usage in include/linux/module.h:430
  Module parport_pc cannot be unloaded due to unsafe usage in include/linux/module.h:430
  parport0: Legacy device

Infortunately the lpd still says it can't find the printer, the irq isn't
in /proc/interrupts, and is the "unloaded" stuff informational or does it
indicate that the modules are being deactivated?

> Booting with 2.4.18 redhat or 2.4.20 kernel.org both work just fine and
> can use the printer.
>
> From config:
> # Parallel port support
> CONFIG_PARPORT=m
> CONFIG_PARPORT_PC=m
> CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_CML1=m
> # CONFIG_PARPORT_SERIAL is not set
> CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_FIFO=y
> CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_SUPERIO=y
> # CONFIG_PARPORT_OTHER is not set
> CONFIG_PARPORT_1284=y
>

> dmesg reports:
> pnp: the driver 'parport_pc' has been registered
> pnp: match found with the PnP device '00:12' and the driver 'parport_pc'

See above, this has been addressed.

> What have I missed?

I miss 2.4.20, is what I miss.