Re: is it possible to bridge virtual devices (ie. a GRE tunnel)?

From: Kevin P. Fleming (kpfleming@cox.net)
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 14:41:53 EST

Chris Friesen wrote:

> I want to set up two physically separate LANs with the same network
> address and logically bridge them using some kind of tunnel over an IP
> network.
>
> I was hoping to somehow combine bridging with GRE tunnels in the kernel
> to accomplish this, but I haven't been able to find out for sure if the
> current kernel bridging code can handle a tunnel device as one of the
> bridge elements.
>
> Can anyone give the definitive answer for this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris

I don't believe you'd be able to use GRE tunnels, as they are not an "Ethernet"
type of tunnel.

However, I run a network with three physical locations, bridged over TAP-type
tunnels using VTUN (vtun.sourceforge.net). These are Ethernet-type tunnel
devices, so the bridge code just sees them as if it was any other Ethernet
network interface.

In addition, I use ebtables to control what traffic gets bridged across the
tunnels, so extraneous broadcast/multicast traffic stays where it is supposed to.