Re: ieee1394: Node 01:1023 has non-standard ROM format (0 quads), cannot parse

From: Ben Collins (bcollins@debian.org)
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 20:48:15 EST

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 08:35:35PM -0500, desrt wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I just got a new plextor combo (read dvd, write cd) drive and installed
> it into my firewire drive enclosure. The CD-ROM drive that was in there
> previously was working fine. I am using an Audigy as my firewire
> controller.
>
> Now, on attach/power on/modprobe ohci1394/etc I get this message:
>
> ieee1394: Node 01:1023 has non-standard ROM format (0 quads), cannot
> parse

Every 1394 device is required to have a Config ROM directory. The
directory has to be _atleast_ 4 quads for basic information to be
extracted and allow the subsystem to use the device. Without even 1 quad
it cannot even verify the magic '1', '3', '9', '4' quad at the start of
it.

If one cdrom works in the enclosure and another doesn't, then I suspect
something is weird with the enclosure's detection of the device you
placed in it. Are you sure that the master/slave jumpers are set
correctly for the enclosure? Anything else it needs?

http://www.linux1394.org/ has a compatibility list. You can also email
linux1394-devel@lists.sf.net.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/