Technical Differences of *BSD and Linux

From: arief_mulya (arief@bna.telkomsel.co.id)
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 23:35:49 EST

Dear all,

I Apologize, If this thread has existed before, and so if
this is very offtopic and tiredsome for most of you here.

I'm a newbie, and just about to get my feet wet into the
kernel-code, been using (GNU/)Linux (or whatever the name
is, I personally don't really care, I caremost at the
technical excellence) for the last two years, I personally
think it's a toupper(great); system.

But after recently reviewing some BSD based systems, I began
to wonder. And these are my questions (I'm trying to avoid
flame and being a troll here, so if there's any of my
questions is not on technical basis, or are being such a
jerk troll please just trash filter my name and email address):

1. In what technical area of the kernel are Linux and *BSD
differ?
2. How does it differ? What are the technical reasoning
behind the decisions?

3. Is there any group of developer from each project that
review each other changes, and tries to make the best code
out, or is the issues very system specific (something that
work best on Linux might not be so on FreeBSD or NetBSD or
OpenBSD)?

4. Any chance of merging the very best part of each kernel?
5. Or is it possible to do so?

Anything else that matters, are welcome.

Please answer technically, I don't wanna be a troll here,
and I hope so do everyone that answers this. I really like
to learn, not to read some flame of who's the best.

To freebsd and openbsd list, please CC the answer to me
directly, as I don't get response from the majordomo of my
subscription requests, yet.

Best Regards,

arief_mulya