Re: Stack overflow

From: Madhavi (madhavis@sasken.com)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 10:41:45 EST

On 24 Jan 2003, GrandMasterLee wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 01:53, Linux Geek wrote:
> > >

> > >I have a functionality which works well if the code whcih performs this
> > >function is embedded in the required function. If this functionality is
> > >implemented as a separate function, and this function is called at the
> > >required place, the system crashes. I have used KDB for debugging. But,
> > >

> > I'd suggest check the args passed to the function and the sizes they
> > would consume when they are passed as 'call by value'.
> > Try to pass them as pointers maybe.
> >
> > Yes, i think there is a limit on kernel stack but not i'm not too sure
> > about the number.
>
> The kernel has an 8K stack max. That said, it *could* be your stack. Do
> you get any panics or oops? If so, you *could* write them down :-D And
> debug them later. If it appears corrupted, then it's probably stack.

I am getting a panic saying "attempted to kill idle task". The call trace
scrolls through for 4-5 pages. I have also observed complete system hang a
few times.

How can I solve this problem, supposing I can't avoid that function call?
Any pointers regarding this would be of great help for me.

thanks & regards
Madhavi.